IIT Mandi is one of the top IITs in India and the lush campus is located in the lap of the Himalayas. Here are 7 reasons, including the main student societies and clubs, why you should study at IIT Mandi.
Why IIT’s are the premier institutes of India need no retelling. Not only does almost every science student aim to study at an IIT when given a chance, now that IIT’s are turning multidisciplinary, this opens the doors to students to humanities and commerce streams as well. When it comes to IIT Mandi, you also get a lush campus in the lap of the Himalayas along with all that an IIT brings.
“IIT Mandi provides a unique curriculum and also unique surroundings. The curriculum prepares the students for the challenges and surprises in professional life and the environs develop the personality and empathy for nature,” says Prof. Ajit K Chaturvedi, Director, IIT Mandi.
If that isn’t lucrative enough, we are giving you a glimpse of the campus life here and listing 7 reasons why you should choose IIT Mandi.
How IIT Mandi began and expansion plans
Having started its journey in 2009 on the banks of river Uhl in the village Kamand of Himachal Pradesh, IIT Mandi has made impressive strides towards developing a remarkable campus in the serene Himalayan setup.
The institute has a state-of-the-art infrastructure with a built-up area of 1.15 lakh sq. mt comprising of housing for 1,655 students and 125 faculty members, cutting-edge laboratories, libraries, sports facilities, spaces for other extra and co-curricular activities.
This includes a 750-seater auditorium which is one-of-its-kind in the region and has already started hosting events attracting experts from all over the world. The unique design of the hostels with large common spaces and terraces is an added perk for the students.
Student volunteers of IIT Mandi during plantation drive at the campus (left) and IIT Mandi students on a trekking trip (right)
Here are 7 reasons you should join IIT Mandi:
1. Unique BTech curriculum
IIT Mandi offers a unique practicum based BTech curriculum that has been designed taking into consideration the future changes in society and the nature of technology. The Foundations for all BTech students include a unique design and innovation sequence.
- The Reverse Engineering projects for students in 1st year imparts a good understanding of common scientific and engineering principles and methods.
- The Design Practicum in 2nd year helps students in building strong foundations in the range of engineering knowledge.
- The Interactive Socio-Technical Practicum in 3rd year introduces students to the breadth of knowledge in humanities.
- And the Major Technical Projects in 4th year give students knowledge in social sciences and management.
2. Entrepreneurship development
The institute has been encouraging its students by setting live examples in front of them by developing the entrepreneurship ecosystem in the campus and state with the help of its technology business incubator – IIT Mandi Catalyst.
3. ARIIA Ranking debut
On August 18, 2020, IIT Mandi made a debut in the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA 2020). The Institute has been ranked #7 in the ‘Centrally Funded Institutions’ category of ARIIA 2020.
IIT Mandi is the only institute from the second generation of IITs to be featured in ARIIA 2020.NSS student volunteers of IIT Mandi
2. Great student to faculty ratio
IIT Mandi has a student to faculty ratio of 12:1. As compared to the other IITs, IIT Mandi is among the best institutes in terms of students to faculty ratio.
This gives a benefit to the students as the faculty will be able to concentrate and address each student’s queries actively and efficiently.
3. Top female student ratio among IITs
IIT Mandi is one of the best IITs for young women engineers in the making. The institute has the highest female enrolment rate among all other IITs in the country.
Prof. Timothy A. Gonsalves, Founding Director, IIT Mandi, played a major role in bringing in innovative approaches to improving gender ratio in the IITs.
In the academic year of 2019-2020, the Institute admitted 20.22% female students in BTech programme. This is the highest proportion of female students in a BTech programme in any of the 23 IITs.
Apart from this, IIT Mandi provides a merit scholarship to female students including a full tuition fee waiver and a monthly stipend of Rs.1,000/- in the first year irrespective of category. The merit scholarship continues for four years of BTech programs, subject to the good academic performance of the candidate. Student performance at IIT Mandi during the college fest
4. Covid-19 measures
Ever since the Coronavirus outbreak, IIT Mandi has taken all safety measures to protect its students, faculty, and staff. The Institute advised the students to stay on the campus in case their hometown is severely infected and traveling there can be dangerous. The Institute also provided accommodation to all the International students as well.
IIT Mandi is also contributing to the global fight against the Covid-19 pandemic.
During the pandemic times, BTech students of IIT Mandi have developed a website for military personnel and their family members visiting the army canteens. The students also developed thermal imaging scanner for district administration which currently installed in DC Mandi office.
5. Inter IIT Tech Meet
The Inter IIT Tech Meet is a great occasion for students to interact with their peers from other IITs and develop ideas and bonds that may turn into professional partnerships later on.
Students of IIT Mandi won a Gold medal in the Programming Hackathon (sponsored by Schlumberger), and, two Bronze Medals, each in, Data Science competition, and, Route Optimization Algorithm competition (sponsored by Bosch) in the Inter IIT Tech Meet 2019.
6. NSS unit of IIT Mandi
NSS is a voluntary group of students working for the betterment of the community. The overall objective of this scheme is to provide education and service to the community by the community. NSS is divided into three main sections:
- Literacy Section
- Awareness Section
- Health Section
NSS unit organises blood donation camps, PRAYAS: Guidance/teaching programme for government school students, cleanliness camps and drives, guidance programmes and laboratory visits for local school students, migrant worker’s children/slum kids teaching programme, donation collection drives, tree plantation campaigns.
In October 2019, the NSS unit of IIT Mandi was felicitated by the Municipal Corporation of Mandi for its tireless contribution to keep Mandi town clean.IIT Mandi students playing table tennis.
7. Student club activities
Apart from the academics, students of IIT Mandi get opportunities to participate in various co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, thereby ensuring a very strong all-round development of their personality.
One of the best advantages of being in an IIT with fewer students is that almost all students get to play a very important role in organising various events, thereby honing their managerial skills.
Many groups of like-minded students have formed various societies in order to pursue their interests. Some of them are:
- Programming Club: The Programming Club of IIT Mandi is a society, especially for the coders, to explore new possibilities in programming and to put their skills to test at the same time. It organises various coding competitions at national and international levels giving the young programmers a wide exposure.
- Space Technology and Astronomy Club (STAC): The Space Technology and Astronomy Club of IIT Mandi hosts AstraX, an inter-college Astro-meet event, which features a panel of national and international speakers. Organising AstraX is a stellar achievement of STAC.
- Literary Society: The Literary Society of IIT Mandi conducts the inter-college LitFest – Ruvaan, a battle of wits and fluency in a wide variety of literary arts – poetry slams, model United Nations, quizzes, story writing, youth parliament and debates.
- Student’s Cultural Society: During the nationwide lockdown, the Cultural Society of IIT Mandi organised an event called Adventure Time, which was the first online cryptography treasure hunt event of IIT Mandi. The event was organised on a web platform developed from scratch by IIT Mandi students which had the team formation feature, the question-answer mechanism and the live leaderboard of playing teams.
- Mountain Biking Club: The Mountain Biking Club of IIT Mandi organises biking events at the Institute. The open challenge event, TRAILS’19 is one such example. It included a 5 km race for beginners, 20 km race for intermediate riders and 48 km race for the experts.
Apart from this, the student clubs organise and host a plethora of events including RoboWars, Robotic Maze Solver, Capture the Flag, Competitive Programming events, IPL Auctions, Bridge Designing, Surveying, among others.